Working Tax Credit
Working Tax Credit is an in-work tax credit for families, and includes an element to support the costs of registered or approved childcare for working parents.
To qualify for support, the childcare must be:
- Registered childminders, nurseries, playschemes or out of school clubs.
- Schools or other establishments that are exempt from registration.
- Providers of childcare for children aged eight or over, who are approved by accredited organisations.
- Approved home carers.
To apply for the childcare element of Working Tax Credit:
- Lone parents must work at least 16 hours a week.
- Both members of a couple must work 16 hours a week or more.
- Or one member of a couple must work 16 hours a week or more and the other member must be incapacitated.
The childcare element of Working Tax Credit will be paid into the bank account of the main carer alongside the Child Tax Credit.