Families Information Service
Who is the service for?
The Families Information Service is a free and impartial service providing information that parents may need to support their children through to their 20th birthday, or 25th if the child is disabled. We can provide information on a wide range of things - whether your query is about services or activities for children, young people or families we will try to help you or signpost you to someone who can. If you don't know who to ask ... ask us!
Why not visit our website for further details and information.
What type of information does the service provide?
The service provides information about becoming a registered childminder or day care provider and other areas of childcare as a career.
We can provide advice and information on:
- Choosing childcare - things to look for, questions to ask and where to find a nursery, Pre-school, Toddler Groups, Childminder, Out of School Club or Holiday Play Scheme.
- Sport and Leisure Clubs as well as family leisure activities
- Free and flexible early learning (formerly nursery education) for 3 and 4 year olds.
- Support for children with additional needs and disabilities
- How to begin a career in childcare including becoming a childminder.
You can also get the information you need about the support you can access on:
- health, drugs and alcohol
- relationships and sexual health
- parenting groups and classes
- social care provision
- education ...
... as well as information about national services, facilities and publications provided by public, charitable and voluntary organisation.
Is there a charge for the service?
No. There are currently no charges for using the Families Information Service.
Why use the Families Information Service?
The service can offer you detailed information about childcare facilities. It can also provide you with a package of information tailor-made to meet your needs.
If you are struggling to find suitable childcare we can provide additional help and support on a one-to-one basis to offer you a solution. If you have a question give us a call. If we don't have the answer we will find out who does.
We will be appearing at an event near you!
The Families Information Service also offers an outreach service at various locations and events in the area. You can speak to an advisor and if you leave your details we will forward you information on the services you require.
If your group/organisation would like to arrange for us to attend one of your events please contact the Families Information Service helpline on 0800 917 2 917.